16 January 2008

More proof that training *will* save your ass...

Normally, I wouldn't post a picture of myself, especially one where I look sooo pretty...but there is a method to my madness. We've all heard about soldiers falling back on their training when things get ugly, and how it saved them more than once.
Well, Firefighters tend to think and work the same way and if you don't believe me, see the photo. You are looking at me shortly after an oven explosion. (Which happened last night I might add.)
I did suffer some 2nd and 3rd degree burns to my hands, BECAUSE of my training. Simple stuff really...protect your eyes. (Hence the hand burns) and contain the fire. (IE: Close the oven door - which also led to the hand injuries.) What you see on my face are mere flash-fire burns. I've been hurt in structure fires while wearing full gear a LOT worse than this so other than not being very thrilled with my oven right now, I'm feeling pretty damn fine.
So if you are one of the few and the ignorant who thinks training is a waste of time, or inapplicable in the "real world," know that the Senior Captain on the scene noted to his crew that had I NOT been a trained FF, my kitchen would be a total loss and I would be blind if not dead. Can't ask for a higher compliment or better proof than that!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are back blogging again. Only one with the 'bug' would have made this post with pix! (LOL!)

1/18/2008 10:56:00 AM  
Blogger Fallen' Angel said...

Thanks NOTR, glad to be back. Now...would you like orignal recipe or extra crispy? ;)

1/21/2008 11:25:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Now...

Shut Up & Jump!