30 March 2008

Little Things Mean a Lot.

Hadn't heard from my guy in about 36 hours which isn't unheard of but it's rare. Then yesterday morning I woke up to this:
"Bad guys got stuck on stupid and we're into our 4th day of fighting. I haven't slept in about 3 days, but I wanted to warn you before I rack out that you're going to hear things in the media that sound familiar, like the names of provinces and FOBs. I don't want you to worry - my guys are kicking ass and we are all ok. I know you're going to worry anyway and not let a soul around you see it, but if it does get too hard, remember the promise I made you."
Not 20 minutes later the AP had picked up the incidents he was referring to, including a mortar attack on his FOB. But my guy, exhausted as he was, took the time to send me that email. How many guys would do that?
I'm thankful to say mine would.
Oh, and that promise he mentioned? Crying women don't do much for him and I agree that it doesn't help him any to sound like a woman at the Wailing Wall when deployment should be the only thing on his mind. So we made a deal:
I wouldn't cry at the Airport when we said goodbye.
He would come home safe to me.

I didn't shed a single tear.
And he doesn't break promises.

8 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Your guy sounds like a gem, I wish you both the best!

3/30/2008 10:56:00 PM  
Blogger Fallen' Angel said...

Thank you for the well wishes, Beth. I think he's kind of special too. ;)

3/30/2008 11:45:00 PM  
Blogger The Griper said...

hi angel,
just a word to say i found ya. don't ask me how but i did. lol
i like the pic you have there.

and from what i've read so far, i'd say your guy has a good reason to stay alive and come home. he's a lucky man.

3/31/2008 12:44:00 AM  
Blogger Fallen' Angel said...

Glad you found me too Gripper as I am already a devotee of your blog after about 5 minutes of reading.
As for my guy...I'm pretty damn lucky too.

3/31/2008 01:48:00 AM  
Blogger The Griper said...

"awww shuckens girl" as he lowers his head in embarrassment and shuffles his feet, "tis nuttin' but the rants of an old fool."

and by the way, consider your wish fulfilled again. from what i see, your pappy is mighty proud of his little girl. i know i would be.

3/31/2008 03:58:00 AM  
Blogger Fallen' Angel said...

Yes Sir...there's gotta be some Texan in there. In my not always humble opinion the rants of those who have been around long enough to have anything worth listening to are the best rants of all.
Thank you for saying my Father would be proud - that always touches me to hear.
Finally, thank you for the compliment on my photo, that was a test shot for a FF calendar a few years back and the photographer and I both loved the pose and the black and white so he developed several for me to keep. When I chose my blogger name (which has to do with skydiving, not being tossed out of heaven,) that seemesd like a perfect match for what a fallen angel might look like.

3/31/2008 05:10:00 AM  
Blogger Daniel Ruwe said...

Good post, Fallen Angel. I found your blog through Beth's blog, and it looks good.

4/01/2008 01:03:00 PM  
Blogger Fallen' Angel said...

Thanks, Daniel! I took a brief look at your blog and from the title alone, I immediately dedcided it was worth going back for further reading. You sound like my kind of blogger...the Right kind!

4/01/2008 02:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Now...

Shut Up & Jump!