07 April 2008

Someone to watch over me...

I am a Paratrooper's daughter and anyone else who is one will likely agree that you are going to have an interesting life and that sometimes unexplainable things happen or you choose to do them simply because you are cut from the same cloth.
I used to complain that I've been surrounded by AIRBORNE RANGERS or men of their caliber for my entire life and that I was convinced that upon my death, they would form a perimeter around my grave just so they could prove they never let me out of their sight. (And since I want to be cremated and have my ashes scattered on one last jump, I'm sure they'll just bring in the HALO guys.)
But here's the other thing.
I am a Paratrooper's daughter who whenever, wherever I've been at my most scared, lost moments, had someone enter my life I never expected to help me get back to who and how I used to be.
It happened when my father (THE Paratrooper) was killed in Viet Nam and I was adopted by a Korean War Veteran. (Dad) who didn't think he wanted kids, let alone a daughter.
It happened when I left for college and got "adopted" by my best friend, another Nam Vet and Active Paratrooper who was with the 173rd (Sky Soldiers) and is now a parachute rigger for the Texas National Guard.
It happened when I met my 1SG after refusing to date for almost 7 years when my divorce broke my heart; he helped me trust and love again.
And it happened again when my Dad had his stroke.
You know who you are.
I will never complain about being a Paratrooper's daughter again, because someone made me realize he's never really left - he's been watching out for me this whole time, even though he never even got to hold me before he was killed.
And he's made sure that his brothers, and men like them have always been there when I needed them.
When you're a Paratrooper's daughter, there is always someone to watch over you.

10 Comments:

Blogger Average American said...

.....I used to complain that I've been surrounded by AIRBORNE RANGERS or men of their caliber for my entire life.....

Not a bad place to be, as you realize now. So glad to see you with your spirit raised. Well, I have to go pack and get ready for the grind. Six 12's in the shithole again! Stay well Angel!

Joe

4/07/2008 11:37:00 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I know I talked at my blog about the survivor type person, but that is not to say that we don't sometimes need the help or support from someone else.

4/07/2008 11:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fallen, haven't been by in a bit. Sorry to hear about your father I wish him and you both well. Jbrookins

4/07/2008 12:55:00 PM  
Blogger The Griper said...

"When you're a Paratrooper's daughter, there is always someone to watch over you."

and each and every one of them considered it a privilege not a responsibility also, i'll bet.

4/07/2008 03:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwwwww, we just watch over her so she don't get caught up in some wacky liberal lifestyle, such as taking a graduate course at UT. She's not that big a problem, so we give her a minute once in awhile.
nuf sed

4/09/2008 02:57:00 PM  
Blogger Fallen' Angel said...

Average American, I'm glad I figured it out too...it's a damn fine place to be and a safe one at that. Be careful out there. That many 12 hour shifts in a row is no cake walk!

Beth, I knew what you meant dear one, unfortunately I can be of the world's worst when it comes for asking for help. "Too stubborn for her own good," is the nicest way it's been put. I am getting better at it now that I am older.
I think your post did a fine job noting the difference between those who need and ask for help; who are grateful when it comes and who, if they are able, help others; compared to those who expect help to come to them as some form of entitlement and are utterly unprepared if it can not or does not arrive in a Lexus. In some cases, like post Katrina, New Orleans some of these types even harmed those who came to help them. We both referred to them as "parasites."
The men of whom I speak taught me that I had no "right" to be the latter type. They taught me to grow up; to expect nothing, and stand on my own if I had to, but also to break my neck getting to the former type as fast as possible if they need me because he/she is my brother and that is what we do for each other. And before I can help another, I have to be able to help myself. I may not do so in that order, but the willingness and ability must be there. They taught me to live on my own if I must and to help others do the same so that we may all live together. Remember that Mountain the men in the 506th had to run daily in "Band of Brothers?" It was called Currahee. Translated, it means: "We stand alone together." This is what I learned from them and why I love them. They will (and have) let me fall so that I could learn to get back up. But if I can't despite my best efforts, they are always there to set me on my feet again. And if I can't walk yet, they will carry me until I can. More importantly, they know I will do the same for them...because they taught me to. To me, those are the survivors.

JB, Damn good to hear from you! Hope you're over that nasty cold. Your visits always make me smile so as for not being around for a spell, don't worry, you have a permanent note with me: "Please excuse JB from class today; he's busy defending your Country."
It's a thoroughly excused absence - one that I truly thank you for, along with your well wishes. Be safe in the sand!

Griper, the privilege and the blessing is all mine and I thank you for taking point so soon after meeting a new gal. You helped more than you know.

Frankie, even though you ARE a Currahee man, if you utter the name of that school along with mine ever again, I'm going to feed you to Lobo. But first, I'll thank you for not letting me crawl into a hole for too long without checking up on me to make sure I was coming back out. (Damn Paratroopers!) ;)

4/10/2008 03:31:00 AM  
Blogger The Griper said...

he smiles. you got one of the answers angel, now what is the other nswer?

4/10/2008 04:54:00 AM  
Blogger Lista said...

That's such a touching story, Angel. Sorry to hear about your dad.

4/13/2008 09:15:00 PM  
Blogger Fallen' Angel said...

Griper, the fact that I managed to get half of it right was enough to make me happy for a whole day - your riddles are not easy, but I love how they make me think.

Lista, thanks for your kind words. Dad is doing a lot better and we have three doctor appointments tomorrow that I hope will confirm this opinion of mine.

4/13/2008 10:20:00 PM  
Blogger Lista said...

I didn't get Griper's riddle right either. I thought it was America and the Constitution, but it turned out to be America and well, something else.

4/13/2008 10:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Now...

Shut Up & Jump!