06 April 2008

Where do I start?

I suppose a good place to begin would be to thank you all for your kind words and prayers. It's amazing what they can do...
Friends, and you are all in that category now, Dad is here, at home, with me.
He knows who I am.
He can walk, talk, eat and is almost like his normal (stubborn, grouchy, wouldn't-have-him-any-other-way,) self prior to his hospitalization. He has a few deficits, (lingering stoke symptoms,) but the important thing is that he's here. He's OK.
Now where to go?
Well, as I was writing this post the first time, I got word that my guy's FOB/AOE got seriously hit today with confirmed casualties along with the attacks in the green zone. (My guy is S.E. of the "Zone.")
I'm not telling you where he is exactly, but y'all are smart folks and you'll figure it out should you care to try. (If you can read headlines- you probably have already.)
So, I added to the initial post a new request for prayers...for the families of those who lost Fathers, Sons, Siblings, Husbands, Friends and Brothers In Arms with maybe an extra prayer that my 1SG was alright. I knew he would be too busy to email me since I wasn't even sure if this thing was over yet, plus, he had his men to look after.
I also knew he would be devastated if any of his men were so much as scratched, let alone seriously injured...or worse. (Not that he would show it until he was home for good and only in our most private face to face conversations, where we talk about such things.) And I'm sad to say that there were a lot of casualties and injuries between the two AOE's.
But you can imagine what I was most afraid of.
My guy does not fight from a desk.
He'd retire before he'd even consider it.
He is a Warrior in the truest sense of that word.
As I was about to post all of this, I couldn't stand it anymore and stopped to send him an email apologizing for asking questions that he would have already given me the answers to if it was something I needed to know.
(Personally, I think I need to know a lot more than he thinks I do, but that's what 24 years in the Army will do to a guy.) Then again, look what he did last week after a 4 day firefight? I told him I knew he was busy, tired and to please just email me with an "I'm OK" once he'd gotten some sleep. I got a near immediate reply that read:
"What the Hell are you talking about?"
For a gal who isn't big on tears or overt emotional displays, this week I have been one giant mess of both, but nothing compared to when I read that email.
When I sent him one of the many articles covering the attacks he wrote:
"Oh Hell, honey________ gets hit with 5 rocket or mortar attacks a week at least, we're fine. How's your Dad?"
You know that smiley face emoticon that rolls it's eyes? I think I sent him one of those with the statement
"Well, THAT makes me feel better!"
But the truth is, it did.
I still ask all of you to pray for the American Soldiers who lost their lives defending all that we hold dear today, and for their Iraqi brethren who were killed fighting by their side so that they might have the same for their children someday.
As for me, at this moment...all is right again in my little corner of the world.
My Dad is here with me, at home, sleeping peacefully in his own bed where he belongs.
My Soldier and his Soldiers are ALL alive and well
Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some prayers to say and much gratitude to express.
And know that the first of those prayers will be those of gratitude for all of my new friends who took the time to offer comfort to a stranger.
As I said in one of my comments: Y'all are the real Angels, I'm just learning how to fly."
Good night and God Bless,
Angel Out

2 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Angel, I am SO glad to see the good news! Your two special guys, your dad and your 1SG, sound pretty tough, God bless them both!

4/07/2008 05:03:00 AM  
Blogger Fallen' Angel said...

Thank you, Beth, From what I can tell, you're a pretty tough gal too. :)

4/07/2008 05:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Now...

Shut Up & Jump!